Thursday, January 3, 2013

candy cane cookies are not mini pies

but have become a Christmas tradition in my family....
Because they are a delicious favorite I always make a double batch - this has the added bonus of making the coloring of the red dough much simpler because I don't have to divide a batch in half and then color it.



these little guys are each rolled by hand so you know that there is a lot of love in each and every cookie.
and also crisco - that's the secret to their heavenly texture- powdered sugar, butter, and crisco. seriously.

...here they are heading into the oven:

the finished cookies are topped with a 50/50 mixture of crushed candy canes and granulated sugar...
I'll let you in on a couple of secrets too:
I use my blender to crush the candy canes because it is faster, easier, and better at it than I am with my rolling pin.
I use the mini candy canes because they make for a better peppermint candy cane flavor than the big ones. trust me.


I sprinkle that mixture on when  they are hot out of the oven and still on the baking sheet so more of it sticks to the cookies. 
the cooky book shows them with just a light dusting - HA! 
not my little babies - no way Jose...



I know it's January and I know these aren't mini pies....but you don't mind, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment